Friday, May 17, 2024

....I just know I have to do something.

May is Mental Health Awareness Month. These are some simple basic facts I copy and pasted from the CDC website, so there is a clear understanding of what Mental Health is.


What is mental health?

Mental health includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It affects how we think, feel, and act. It also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make healthy choices. Mental health is important at every stage of life, from childhood and adolescence through adulthood.

How common are mental illnesses?

Mental illnesses are among the most common health conditions in the United States.

  • More than 1 in 5 US adults live with a mental illness.
  • Over 1 in 5 youth (ages 13-18) either currently or at some point during their life, have had a seriously debilitating mental illness.5
  • About 1 in 25 U.S. adults' lives with a serious mental illness, such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, or major depression.6

What causes mental illness?

There is no single cause for mental illness. A number of factors can contribute to risk for mental illness, such as

  • Adverse Childhood Experiences, such as trauma or a history of abuse (for example, child abuse, sexual assault, witnessing violence, etc.)
  • Experiences related to other ongoing (chronic) medical conditions, such as a traumatic brain injury, cancer, or diabetes
  • Biological factors or chemical imbalances in the brain
  • Use of alcohol or drugs
  • Having feelings of loneliness or isolation 



Now, I am not one to keep up with, celebrate, and recognize every little thing everyone wants to recognize these days, but this one, I can't ignore at least not this year. I deal with my mental health every day. I have delt with my mental health as long as I can remember. although back then, it wasn't as known and recognized as much as it is today. 


Maybe that is a good thing....

Maybe now mental health has a voice, 

Maybe now mental health will be heard, 

Maybe now mental health will be seen,

Maybe now mental health will be listened to. 

Maybe now I have a platform. 


I have no clue what I am doing.... 

I just know I have to do something, 

I have to do it someway,

I have to do it somewhere, 

I have to do it somehow.

I have to do it because I know I am not the only one. 


I cant be the only one. 


No comments:

Post a Comment